Janet has focused her practice in the areas of labour and employment and administrative law over the course of the last 25 years; representing government, institutional and individual clients in connection with all aspects of the employment relationship, including:
- drafting all manner of employment agreements, procedures and governance manuals;
- drafting polices covering such areas as workplace conduct, confidentiality, corrective action, discipline, disability, return to work, drug and alcohol use and abuse, human rights, privacy, security, technology, whistle-blower rights and obligations;
- drafting protocols for and conducting workplace investigations;
- conducting training for staff, management and boards concerning statutory, common-law and contractual rights and obligations;
- representing clients before administrative tribunals and the courts;
- conducting and participating in mediations.
In the area of administrative law, Janet has acted as a single member appellate tribunal in a particular administrative regime since 2008 and is herself counsel to a number of administrative tribunals.
Janet has chaired grievance arbitration panels since 2003.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Edmonton Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association Section
- Member, Labour and Employment Law Section
- Member, Administrative Law Section
- Member, Privacy Law Section
- Alberta Grievance Arbitration Roster
(Appointed January 1, 2007)
Admitted to Bar
- Alberta, 1991
1990 LL.B. (University of Alberta)
1978 B.A. (University of Alberta)